Fairfield County Ohio Visitors and Convention Bureau
AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame, Pickerington, Ohio
aha childrens museum logo

AHA! A Hands-On Adventure, Children's Museum

315 S Broad St
Lancaster, Ohio 43130 (740) 653-1010, Fax: (740) 653-2915

Email Hours Monday-Saturday 10am to 4pm Sunday 12pm to 4pm, Nov-March Admission fee.aha childrens museum harpChildren love the hands-on activites. Something for all the little ones.

Fairfield County Fairgrounds Historic Buildings

Fairfield County Fairgrounds Historic Buildings

Located between Columbus St and High St. on the N side of Fair Ave
Lancaster, Ohio 43130 (740) 653-3041
Admission is free. Fairgrounds is open dawn to dusk. Buildings are open by appointment or during the Fairfield County Fair each year early in October.

Historic Buildings

Of interest are the old buildings and structures that have been preserved from the 1800's and early 1900's: Wooden Grandstand, Carroll, Ohio C & O Depot, Pioneer Cabin, Weakley School House, Joe Arnold Country Store, Round Cattle Barn, Replica of 1930 Gas Station, Original Flora Hall, Roley Covered Bridge Contact Dave Benson (740)653-3041 for an appointment.

georgian museum

Georgian Museum (The)


105 E Wheeling St
Lancaster, Ohio 43130 (740) 654-9923

Museum Hours

Museum hours are: Open T-Sun 1-4 P.M.; April-Nov, Dec. weekends only. - by appt. Jan-March Closed Holidays including Thanksgiving Eve.

The Maccraken Mansion

Marvel at Samuel Maccracken's 1832 mansion restored to its original architectural grandeur and furnished with exceptional period pieces. Many of the antique furnishings were owned by the Maccracken Family and others were made by Fairfield County's master craftsmen.

A display of Erickson Glass, formerly made in Bremen, Ohio, is available for viewing.

This historic house was built by Daniel Sifford using Asher Benjamin\'s Handbook for Carpenters and represents the best of American and Georgian architecture.

Fundraising Events include:

  • Theme Teas offered in July and December
  • House Tour or Garden Tour offered in alternate years.
  • Cemetery Tour with re-enactors of famous and infamous Lancaster Citizens offered in October
  • Candlelight Tour of historic churches in downtown Lancaster, Ohio performing Christmas Music December


Lancaster Camp Ground

Lancaster Camp Ground


2151 W. Fair Avenue
Lancaster, Ohio 43130 (740) 653-2119
Admission is free. davis auditiorium

History

A young minister, Rev. William Holliday, held a camp meeting the summer of 1872 at Logan, Ohio. That meeting became the foundation of the Lancaster Camp Ground. Later encampments were held at Logan and then Carroll, Ohio before relocation to our present site off of Fair Avenue, Lancaster, Ohio. Here on the 'hilltop' since 1878, the Lancaster Camp Ground Meeting & Assembly has made its permanent home. Davis Auditorium used for camp meetings at the Lancaster Camp Ground is on the National Register of Historic Districts and is currently in need of restoration. See the Lancaster Camp Ground Website for details.

The Lancaster Camp Ground was laid out with the center stake driven in what was to be the heart of the camp meeting's auditorium. Roads were planned to radiate out from it like the spokes on a wheel. These spokes soon became linked with tents to accommodate the many camp meeting participants attending services on the grounds.

Beginning in the 1880's these tents were rapidly replaced by cottages to provide more convenient accommodations. Of the approximately 400 cottages built, about 250 remain and many of them are in near original condition. The preservation of these historic cottages and other venerable buildings resulted in the Lancaster Camp Ground being designated a National Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987 by the National Park Service.

The Chautauqua Movement arrived at the Lancaster Camp Ground in the early 1890's and the increased attendance of those who were coming for the very popular Chautauqua programs necessitated a need for a larger worship/program center.

Davis Auditorium

"Davis Auditorium A Pennsylvania railroad bridge engineer designed this magnificent structure, built in 1895, it has a wooden trussed bridge design supporting the roof. The building, 120 feet square, with no interior support columns, gives an unobstructed view of a large stage that occupies the south side of the building and there are wooden pews capable of seating up to 2,500 people.

Currently a fundraising campaign is underway to preserve this historical building and maintain it for future generations.

See our website to give a tax deductible donation toward this worthy cause.



Ohio Glass Museum

Ohio Glass Museum and Glass Blowing Studio


124 W Main St
Lancaster, Ohio 43130 (740) 687-0101

Hours & Fees

Museum hours are: Tuesday - Sunday 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. except for Nov-Jan Tuesday-Saturday Closed Mondays, Sundays. Closed on holidays. Open by appointment other hours.

Admission fees: Adults $6, Seniors $5 and Students $3.

History

The establishment of the Ohio Glass Museum incorporated in 2002 reflects the importance of glass in the history and development of Lancaster and Fairfield County's financial stability from 1888 to present. Because of the abundance of natural resources including natural gas and sand in this area, the establishment of the glass industry was a logical step in utilizing those resources. In fact, in 2003 Lancaster was designated the "Pressed Glass Capital" of Ohio by the State Legislature.

A rotating art glass exhibits grace our display cases.

OUL Library Turner Collection

1570 Granville Pike
Lancaster, Ohio 43130 (740) 654-671
Admission is free. Open library hours. Call for times.

Antique Farm Implements

Small collection of antique farm implements collected by Herb Turner.

Charles Goslin Nature Journal Collection

Charles Goslin was a naturalist in Fairfield County, Ohio and kept logs of his walks around the county. His historic journals are kept nearby.

Decorative Arts Center of Ohio

Reese-Peters House (Decorative Arts Center of Ohio)


145 East Main Street
Lancaster, Ohio 43130 (740) 681-1423
Center Hours are: Tuesday - Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sundays, every 1st Friday of the month 1:00 to 7 p.m. Closed Mondays and on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years Day sign decorative arts of ohioThere is a fee charged for groups of 10 or more. Otherwise, admission is free.The Decorative Arts Center built circa 1834 was the home of William James Reese, three time mayor of Lancaster, Ohio and his wife, Elizabeth Sherman Reese, the sister of Civil War General William T. Sherman, whose birthplace is next door. The center features Greek Revival and Eastlake decor as well as the art gallery. A winding spiral staircase leads to the gallery. For those who are challenged by stairs, an elevator allows access to the upper and lower levels.

sherman house front

Sherman House Museum


137 E. Main Street
Lancaster, Ohio 43130 (740) 687-5891
Open T-Sun 12-4 P.M.; April-Nov, 12-4 weekends in December Closed Holidays and Thanksgiving Eve. Closed Jan-March. Call for appointment

Admission is charged. sherman house garden

Birthplace of Senator John and Gen Sherman

Birthplace of General William T. Sherman and Senator John Sherman. The Sherman House features Sherman family memorabilia, Civil War and GAR artifacts.

Parts of the house were built in 1811 with an addition in 1816 by the Shermans. In 1870 a brick front and victorian parlor were added. 2007 saw the dedication of a "Sherman era garden" planted along the side of the house and in the backyard features plants popular in the 1800's and used by the Shermans in cooking, scented pillows, etc.

Soapbox Derby Museum

Soapbox Derby Museum


3060 BIS Rd.
Lancaster, Ohio 43130 (740) 974-4795

Soapbox Derby Museum

The Soapbox Derby Museum is open by appointment only. Call Tom Clark. Admission is free.

The museum is one of the only permanent Derby Museum's in the United States. Our museum dates back to the beginning of the Lancaster Soap Box Derby back in 1955. You can walk through Derby History and see how the cars have evolved through time. You can see memorabilia, pictures, and lots of cars. We are extremely proud of our museum, and we hope all that love derby will enjoy our facility. Museum hours are by appointment, exception are race week, and on rally weekends, when the museum is open all day.

Mumaugh Memorial

The Mumaugh Memorial

162 E Main St
Lancaster, Ohio 43130 (740) 654-8451
In 1806, a Mr. Giani, an Italian immigrant and ardent Catholic built this home on a lot purchased from Jacob & Peter Fetters. The one story brick structure is thought to be the oldest brick structure still standing in the state of Ohio.

In 1817 the first Catholic Mass was said in the original brick structure owned at the time by Michael Garaghty. Mr. Garaghty, a local banker, hired Isaiah Vorys, Sr., prominent local builder, to built an addition to his home. This was done between 1824-1826. John Mumaugh purchased the house in 1857. His last descendant, a daughter May Frances, died in 1929 leaving the homestead to the city of Lancaster to be a memorial to her father and to be used as a culture center and meeting place especially for women.

Fairfield County Foundation

The city of Lancaster gave the Mumaugh Memorial to the Fairfield County Foundation in May of 2002. The Foundation maintains the property and occupies the back section as its offices.

Historic items of interested include Elizabeth Sherman Reese DAR display of memorabilia. An addition is being added to the building and it will not be available until August 2008.