Ohio is second only to Pennsylvania for the state having the largest number of original covered bridges. Fairfield County, Ohio has the most in the state. The majority of Fairfield County’s covered bridges were built ca 1871-1906. Original construction began in 1849.
The wooden bridges all have an underlying truss system which basically uses interlocking triangles of timber to support heavy loads across the span. Truss types that can be seen in Fairfield County include kingpost, multiple kingpost, queenpost, multiple queenpost, Howe and arches.
Charles Holliday Covered Bridge, Millersport, Ohio
Originally at Walnut Creek on Lake Road Now at Millersport Lions Club Grounds, 2900 Chatauqua Blvd., Millersport, Ohio 43046
The Charles Holliday Covered Bridge was the last one standing in Walnut Township. Built in the late 1890's by J.W. Buchanan, it originally crossed over Walnut Creek on Lake Road. The 98' multiple Kingpost span was reconstructed in the early 1980's at its current location at Millersport on the Millersport Kiwanis Sweet Corn Festival Grounds.
Directions: SE Millersport on the Sweet Corn Festival Grounds, Walnut Twp, section 28 [off Lancaster St, .2 mile south of Rt 204 W, then left .5 mile on Chatauqua Blvd. to Gate 4 and walk .2 mile to right.]
George Hutchins Covered Bridge, Alley Park, Lancaster, Ohio
George Hutchins Covered Bridge Orginally at Strickler Road at Clear Creek Crossing now at Alley Park, 2805 Old Logan Rd SE, Lancaster, Ohio 43130 Access by walking path from parking lot; near Lodge on Lake Loretta.
The George Hutchins Bridge uses multiple Kingpost construction. It was built in 1883. A second bridge was constructed onsite in 1904. This 49' span was originally located off Strickler Road and crossed Clear Creek near where Zane's Trace crossed the stream in 1797.
It was reconstructed at Alley Park, south of Lancaster off Rt 33 for the Fairfield County Bicentennial Celebration in 2000.
Hannaway Covered Bridge, Madison Twp., Fairfield County, Ohio
South of Clearport on bypassed section of Clearport Rd (CR24) over Clear Creek, Madison Twp.
Multiple Kingpost construction built circa 1881 to 1901. This 86' bridge spanned Clear Creek, just beyond Mt. Carmel Methodist Church on Clearport Road. Unique to this bridge are the canopy windows on the inward side of the curving stream. Now part of the Fairfield County Historical Parks. Directions: Located south of Clearport on bypassed section of Clearport Rd (CR24) over Clear Creek, Madison Twp., section 9 [off Rt 159 .3 mile South of old Rt 22 & east edge of Amanda then east 3.4 mile on Amanda-Clearport Rd (CR69) & south .4 mile on east side]
Hartman II Covered Bridge Originally over Raccoon Creek on Wheeling Road Now at Lockville Historical Park at 5859 Pickerington Road NW, Carroll, Ohio 43112
The Harman II Covered Bridge was built in Queenpost style in 1888 with a span of 45 feet. It once spanned Raccoon Creek on Wheeling Road. In 1967 the covered bridge was reconstructed across the canal within the Lockville Park. Rare triple locks can be seen at the park maintained by The Fairfield County Historical Parks Commission.
John Bright II Covered Bridge, OUL Campus, Lancaster, Ohio
Now over Fetters Run, Ohio University Lancaster Campus, S.R. 37 North, 1570 Granville Pike, Lancaster, Ohio 43130
Here is one of the finest examples of covered bridge preservation. It is the best example of wooden arch construction in the county. Orginally built in 1881 and 75'. Now located on the Lancaster Campus of the Ohio University, it spans Fetters Run.
Johnston Covered Bridge, Madison Twp, Fairfield County, Ohio
Just off Clear Creek Road, south east of the village of Clearport over Clear Creek, Madison Twp., Fairfield County, Ohio
The Johnston Covered Bridge built in 1887 is of Howe truss style construction. Vertical metal rods were incorporated into the construction so bridge tension could be maintained. It's 99' span reaches across Clear Creek. It was restored in 1996 on it original location. The bridge is part of the Fairfield County Historical Parks and features with picnic facilities.
Directions: SE Clearport just off Clear Creek Road, south east of the village of Clearport over Clear Creek, Madison Twp, section 10 [off Rt 159 .3 mile south old Rt 22, east edge Amanda then east .5 mile
Photo Credit: Use with permission of the Fairfield County Historical Parks Commission
Now at a new Historical Parks Property, 4065 Sullivan Rd SE, Sugar Grove, Ohio 43155
Built in 1875 by the Smith Bridge Company. It was originally a 106 ft. truss style construction with arches. The bridge was dismantled and moved finally to its current location on the Bill Pierson Farm, 4665 Sullivan Rd, SE Berne Tp near the Hocking County Border in the Hocking Hills. Many of the boards had rotten and only 35' feet of the bridge was able to be reconstructed.
Directions: SE Sugar Grove on Historic Parks Property, Berne Twp, section 11 [.4 mile east Rt 33 to Sugar Grove then south 1.6 miles on Buckeye Rd. (TR400) & east .5 mile on Sullivan Rd (TR298 dead-end).]
Now across Fetters Run near Thomas Ewing Jr. High School and Lancaster High School Stadium, Arbor Vallley Dr, Lancaster, Ohio 43130.
The McCleery Covered Bridge is a single span multiple Kingpost truss, originally 98' feet long, dry rot has decreased the size to 50 feet. It built circa 1864 by Jacob Brandt, a prolific covered bridge builder. The originally the bridge connected Leonard Road on either side of Walnut Creet just south of Baltimore. It has been incorporated into the Lancaster Ohio bike trail.
In Old Mill Hollow, 2340 Meister Rd Sw, Lancaster, Ohio 43130 over Arney Run, Hocking Twp, Section 34.
The Mink Hollow Covered Bridge was built in 1887 of multiple Kingpost style. This bridge crosses over Arney Run in Old Mill Hollow near the intersection of Crook and Meister Roads near Hopewell Church Road. Setting at its original location the bridge was restored during 1996 and is illuminated for night viewing. It is 51'.
R.F. Baker Covered Bridge, near Fairfield Union High School, Lancaster, Ohio
Originally at Little Rush Creek at Winegardner Mill Now at Fairfield Union High School, 6675 Cincinatti-Zanesville Rd. NE, Lancaster, Ohio 43130
The R.F. Baker Covered Bridge is 66 ft and was built in 1871 by James Arnold to span Little Rush Creek. It stood just above where the Winegardner Mill once stood and has been reconstructed at its current locations behind the Fairfield Union High School.
Directions: W. Rushville Fairfield Union Local School District, U.S. 22 near Ireland Rd, Richland Twp, section 31
Rock Mill Covered Bridge and Mill, Lancaster, Ohio
Over Hocking River next to Rock Mill (original location). 1429 Rock Mill Place, Lancaster, Ohio 43130
The Rock Mill Covered Bridge was originally built in 1849 in Queenpost style. A second bridge was built in 1880 and the current span in 1901. It crosses the upper falls 30 feet above the Hocking River's origin and is the smallest covered bridge in Fairfield County being only 33' in length. Through the years the bridge was damaged by truck traffic. Today the bridge has been converted into a park area by the Fairfield County Historical Parks Commission. It is next to the Rock Mill currently under reconstruction.
Rock Mill (the mill) is Open May-October Saturday-Sunday 1:00-3:00pm. The property and the covered bridge can be seen sunrise to sunset throughout the year.
Shade Covered Bridge, Fairfield County Historic Parks, Sugar Grove, Ohio
4065 Sullivan Rd SE, Sugar Grove, Ohio 43155 Historic Parks Property, Berne Twp. section 11
Shade Covered Bridge is a burr truss span of 122' originally built by James Buchanan in 1871 over Walnut Creek. It was reconstructed at Bill Pierson's Farm at 4665 Sullivan SE, Berne Twp in Sugar Grove, Ohio where the public may visit it free of charge. The Mae Hummel Bridge is on the same farm.
Shreyer Covered Bridge, Liberty Twp, Fairfield County, Ohio
Now at Basil-Western Rd NW(Co. Rd 13) W. of Baltimore off 256 in Liberty Twp. on Private Property
The Shryer Covered Bridge was built of multiple Kingpost truss construction in 1891; length of 65; was reconstructed in 1987 on the Shryer Egg Farm. The farm is located on Basil-Western Rd (Co. Rd 13) west of Baltimore off 256.
Directions: W. Baltimore on Bill Shreyer Farm, Liberty Twp section 20 [off OH256 1 mile west of Rt 158 then SW 3.3 miles on Basil-Western Rd (CR13) on N. side of street.]
Now at Sycamore Park, 100 Lockville Rd, Pickeington, Ohio 43137
The Zeller-Smith Covered Bridge was reconstructed in Sycamore Creek Park, Pickerington, Ohio. Built in 1906, it is of Queenpost style and has a span of 73'.
Directions: SE edge of Pickerington over Sycamore Creek in Sycamore Park, Violet Twp, section 10 [off Rt 256 east .3 mile east Rt 256 then north, then south .5 mile on Pickerington Rd. (CR20) to park on east side.]